Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Ruckus Live: Figurines


Schuba's Tavern
October 23, 2006

(Click on pictures to enlarge.)


When Figurines' first American release, Skeleton, pillaged its way into the States like a Viking warlord last March, it immediately became one of my new favorite albums. I played the crap out of it... Had it been the year, 1973, and it was on vinyl, I would have had to buy three copies due to excessive scratching. It just never got old. Even after all of these months, Skeleton still remains one of my favorite releases of 2006.

Ever since that day, deep down inside, I just knew that Figurines would be an amazing live band. It's just one of those things that really shines through on their studio album. I mean, for months, I would sit at home and constantly check various websites while praying to the Indie Rock Gods that Figurines would play a US tour, and, finally, one day my prayers were answered. PitchforkMedia.com announced a Figurines US tour, and in an even further act of appretiation from the Indie Music Gods, they would be playing Chicago just a few weeks after I had moved there; just in time to see them blow out Schuba's Tavern.

I'm going to start off by saying that this was the best live set that I have ever seen from a band. I'm not going to call it the best concert ever, due to a lack of supporting cast, but still, it was definitely the best single performance from a band that I have ever bore witness to. All of the elements were present; the stars aligned, if you will. A small, intimate, venue - a band that I love - a great crowd - a well thought out and orchestrated set list - live twists on several songs - seriously, what more can you ask for?

The show began with lead singer/guitarist, Christian Hjelm, on stage alone as he performed an acoustic guitared out version of the album's opener - a piano ballad entitled, Race You. (Which, on a side note, will always make me giggle a little bit due to Chris Walker Vs. The Amazing Race.) Then, the rest of the band joined him on stage to play Silver Ponds, at the end of which, Hjelm traded in his acoustic guitar for an electric, announced that, "This concludes the acoustic portion of the set," and then proceeded to rock everyone's face off for the next fifty minutes.

Highlight of the show, for me, definitely had to be the extended-live-jammed out version of Rivalry which blended right into one of my favorite tracks, Wrong Way All the Way. That, and crazy Figurines-Fifth-Man simultaneously playing the guitar, tambourine, keyboard, and laptop.

I really, really, ridiculously hope that Schubas releases this show on eMusic.com soon, so I can share some of the vast awesomeness with you on an audible level.

Amazing band.

Seriously.















Conclusion

The Good:
  • This was THE MOST that a group of Norsemen has dominated an American crowd since Leif Erikson landed here in the year, 1000, and proceeded to give the enitre native population syphillis with his beard.
The Bad:
  • The aura of Old Spice and Stetson that emitted from openers, The Jet Age.
The Ugly:
  • Work at 7:00 in the AM the next morning... Weak.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey i plan to see these guys on saturday and i am writing a review for this music site. i was wondering how you got a look at the set list let me know will ya?
duffman3400@hotmail.com

2:10 PM  
Blogger Suchie said...

Thanks for the recap. I was dying to go, but I'm 10 months too young for Schuba's. Luckily, I got to see them in June at the Beat Kitchen, when Christian had no beard and there was no fifth member of the band. Thanks again!

5:35 AM  
Blogger JetAgeEric said...

Sorry I'm late. I don't know what Old Spice and Stetson means, but I use Arm and Hammer (no odor). I'll check with the other guys ... Is Stetson a deodorant, too? -E

10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home