Friday, October 13, 2006

Ruckus Live: Art Brut, We Are Scientists, & Spinto Band


The Metro
October 12, 2006

(Click on pictures to enlarge.)

If I had to use only one word to collectively describe all three of the bands that blew out the Metro on Thursday night, it would be alcohol. But since alcohol isn't exactly an adjective or even really a very descriptive word, we'll go with: "Energy." Art Brut and We Are Scientists are two bands that have pretty much based their entire musical careers around their live performances. I mean, when you see their names printed across the top of your ticket, you just know that you're in for a treat... but it's not merely the catchy post-punk sing-a-longs and witty onstage banter that you have to look forward to, oh no my friends, they bring much, much more to the stage--like costumes.

But, before the two headliners would have the chance to get their rock on, the Chicago crowd would first be greeted by Spinto Band--a powerpop group from Delaware that ranges from six to seven members, depending upon which night you see them. Their music kind of reminds me of the type of catchy tunes that emo kids would get down to now that emo's not that popular anymore... Not really my thing, but they do bring a lot of energy and presence to the stage. So, if you're into like, Hellogoodbye, or The Academy Is..., or whatever, you should probably check them out. They scored points for playing kazoos on stage, but lost points for not making a single, "Hi, we're from Delaware..." joke.

Pod-Cast: Chris Cain drunk-dialing/interviewing/snarking intellectual with Spinto Band. Just copy (http://wearescientists.com/podcast.xml), into your iTunes, or whatever you use.







Next up was, We Are Scientists. Rather than going into a lengthy dissertation on how much I like this band and how awesome bassist, Chris Cain's, mustache is, I'm just going to say that if We Are Scientists come to your town, go fucking see them... seriously. See how I drop an unasterisked "F-Bomb" just so you can see how serious I am? Yeah... do it.

The theme of their set tonight was, "Band mash-ups." They invited the Spinto Band dancers on stage with them to perform a We Are Scientists'ed out version of Bang Bang Rock & Roll, and, for their final song, they were joined on stage by Art Brut lead guitarist, Ian Catskilkin, who leant his best Eddie Van Halen impression to Keith Murray's guitar. Aside from that, they played all the favorites from With Love and Squalor with CD-quality precision, and kept the atmosphere light with Keith Murray and Chris Cain's humorous, self-deprecating, verbal sparring.

Download: Inaction





Okay, hold on. I realize that I should probably throw a little bit of exposition about Chris Cain's ensemble here. In case you were wondering, yes, that is a pink jumpsuit with a lightning bolt on the chest. And yes, the button does say, "Moustache Rides: Ladies - $1.00, Boys - $1.50, Keith - Free." He claims that there is some elaborate bet going on where he has to wear it for two weeks straight. Now, I use the word, "claims," because after he explained all of this, lead singer/guitarist, Keith Murray, looked surprised and said, "Oh, so it's a bet now? Well then, what do you get if you win?" To which Cain could only reply, "Oh ya? Well, why don't you tell everybody what's up with the fruity little handkerchief around your neck." Okay, anyways, back to the pictures...











I really only have six words and one semi-colon to say about the final act of the night; "Art Brut; Top of the Pops." It seems like all over the internet, various music magazines, and even your little sister's diary, you constantly read about how awesome the live Art Brut experience is. I mean, it's received so much praise, that it's almost impossible to goto an Art Brut show without momumental expectations, and let me tell you... Thursday's show did not let me down one bit.

Charismatic frontman, Eddie Argos, holds command of the stage with a certain, "As Long as I have this microphone, you will listen to every damn word I have to say," swagger, and when you combine that with Art Brut's catchy punk riffs, sing-a-long choruses, and more pop-culture references than an episode of Best Week Ever, you're left with an amazing live experience. I know I seem to be saying this about every band that I've seen lately, but, if you have the chance: GO SEE THIS BAND!

That's all.

Download: Good Weekend


















Conclusion

The Good:
  • Smartbar after party, free admission, $2 PBR's, 'nuff said.
The Bad:
  • Confused Emo kids shouting, "Play Blitzkrieg Bop!!!"
The Ugly:
  • A suspicious odor wafting forth from the direction of a certain unwashed, pink jumpsuit."


Monsieur Argos had just bought me a shot of Jagermeister... I was apparently just a little bit psyched about it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd just like to point out

the button says:

MOUSTACHE RIDES
ladies - $1.00
boys - $1.50
Keith - free

I would know, since I made it..

But otherwise..

that sounds like a most excellent show.
I really wish I could've gone! WAS didn't play 'bang bang' when I saw them...

12:38 AM  
Blogger Tyler said...

Ha ha, thanks... fixed.

Chalk one up to drunken memory, it was like an eleven hour binge afterall.

12:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home